<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Tuesday's Top News Stories... So far 

Tonight's top most interesting (in my opinion) news stories so for. As most of the stories are talked about on Slashdot I've picked the most interesting:

New HP Drive Lets You Burn Your Own Label
It looks like HP created a drive that uses the same laser used to burn DVD-ROMs to burn a label on the label side of the disc with any monochrome or grayscale image you like. The catch is that you would be required to use a special kind of CD to burn the label on to. Well I don't know about you, but I'll be sure to stick with the normal CD label stickers.



The Command Line - Best Newbie Interface?
A contributor of OSNews.com, Richard Wareham, has posted an essay describing results about how the command line is a better choice to learn than a Graphical User Interface (GUI). I, for one, agree with Mr. Wareham since I enjoy entering commands into a terminal on Linux than having to go jump through hoops to simply move files around or edit a daemon configuration file. Note that the essay is four pages long, yikes.



Playstation 3 Already Won the Next Gen Battle?
The BBC has an article that basically claims the Sony's Playstation 3 has already won the battle for the best console of next generation gaming consoles. I believe so too since Microsoft first of all announced that the XBox 2 won't be having a hard drive and they still won't announce the complete official specification of their console, and Nintendo's last big hit was the N64, so the gamecube wasn't that great, and I doubt it'll come up with anything better than Microsoft or Sony anytime soon with in the next five years. That's all I have to say for now on this matter.



US Government Upgrades RAM
Techworld has an article that reports the U.S. Government spent $4.7 million for 2.5TB (TeraBytes) of RAM (they got a discount for buying in bulk?) for usage in their tax return handling machines? Here is a quote from the article:
"A RamSan 320 unit holds up to 64GB of RAM in a 3U rack unit. The US government order is housed in three full height rack units. There are over 320 2Gbit/s Fibre Channel ports and the aggregate I/O rate is 36Gbit/s. That is some serious hardware."
Yes some serious hardware indeed and so much for Bill Gates' "640K ought to be enough for anybody." theory right out the window or Windows. ;)



Kodak Sues Sony Over Digital Camera Patents
A Reuters article is reporting about Kodak is currently only going after Sony because the company is using ten of Kodak's patents without permission and maybe other digital camera vendors have paid their toll fee or got granted permission? Who knows. The slashdot posting also noted about more info from Bloomberg article.



And Finally an update about Viacom vs. Dish Network! Sort of:

Echostar/Dish Network Pulls Viacom Channels
Today Viacom's channels have been officially taken off of Dish Network and I bet Dish Network's subscribers aren't too happy about it either. Apparently a contract deal didn't come to an agreement between the two parties and no word yet on when it should become resolved. Also EchoStar (the company behind Dish Network) will credit Dish Network subscribers one dollar (USD) per month for programming outage. I don't know about you, but a dollar per month credit for missing programming doesn't work with me especially when the programming package at least costs $25 a month. All I can say now is that... bittorrent forever!


I hope you enjoyed my little news reporting on my blog since I had nothing more interesting to post about and anything more interesting comes up I'll post again tonight. But of course I'll post when it's my bed time, why not? ;)
Comments:

Post a Comment